Who are Mental Health Carers?
Mental Health Carers provide support to a family member or friend with an mental illness, alcohol or drug use issue.
Sometimes Carers don't realize they are Carers. If you are unsure whether you are a 'Carer', ask yourself whether you provide any of the following supports to someone in your life.
- Do you provide emotional support to the person?
- Do you help the person attend appointments?
- Do you advocate for the person to access services?
- Do you help them with personal care, transport, household tasks, communication, or to access the community?
- Do you take time off work to care for them?
- Do you give comfort and encouragement to keep them safe?
- Do you monitor their safety because you are concerned for their welfare?
- Do you help them to live as independently as possible?